Supporting GCSE computer science students at grades 1-3 CD478 / E01
This evidence-based CPD aims to raise knowledge amongst teachers of how to achieve the most out of your students, working towards grades 1 – 3 in GCSE computer science. Whether you’re already teaching computer science or completely new to the subject, this course is designed to support your understanding of GCSE grades 1 - 3.
Within this course you’ll explore the key terminology used in computer science and how to make this accessible to students; identify the mathematical skills required and how to make them accessible to students, working towards grades 1 – 3; learn about knowledge and recall strategies and how to embed these within your teaching; and how to use assessment and feedback to support student progress.
By the end of the course you’ll have the foundations of a variety of strategies that can be taken into the classroom, to support raising the attainment of students.
Who is it for?
No prior experience or knowledge of computing is expected before attending this course. It is advised that you become familiar with the National Curriculum in Computing before participating.
What topics are covered?
● 01 Supporting maths in computer science – during this session you’ll explore the mathematical skills required in GCSE computer science. You’ll learn about evidence based strategies, including how to make mathematical content accessible to your students.
● 02 Disciplinary Literacy – during this participant led activity, you’ll explore how disciplinary literacy applies to computer science.
● 03 Supporting literacy in computer science – during this session you’ll learn about the use of technical terminology, oral literacy and how to promote its use in computer science.
● 04 Knowledge and recall – during this session you’ll explore how to promote recall amongst students; how the use of practical computing can support students working towards grades 1 – 3; and how to use of platforms such as Isaac GCSE computer science can support student knowledge and understanding.
● 05 Assessment and feedback – during this session you’ll dive into assessment and feedback, you’ll have the opportunity to learn about feedback strategies, explore the benefits of these strategies and how they can be used in the classroom.
How will you learn?
Scheduled live, interactive online sessions led by an experienced practitioner. Flexible facilitator-supported, participant-led tasks, involving deep exploration of the subject content.
How long is this course?
This course is approximately five hours in duration, split across several days.
Who is the course leader?
I'm contagiously passionate about education. I'm also incredibly excited about the potential that Computing has to create world changing children.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
● Explore a range of strategies to support with maths subject knowledge in computer science
● Explain how disciplinary literacy underpins subject literacy focus
● Consider how to use a range of methods to develop literacy in the computer science
● Consider strategies to aid knowledge recall
● Explore a range of assessment strategies; formative or summative
|1 Supporting GCSE computer science students at grades 1-3||06 July 2022||09:00-10:00||Virtual|
|2 Supporting GCSE computer science students at grades 1-3||06 July 2022||10:00-10:50||Virtual|
|3 Supporting GCSE computer science students at grades 1-3||06 July 2022||11:00-12:00||Virtual|
|4 Supporting GCSE computer science students at grades 1-3||06 July 2022||12:30-13:40||Virtual|
|5 Supporting GCSE computer science students at grades 1-3||06 July 2022||13:40-14:00||Virtual|
|6 Supporting GCSE computer science students at grades 1-3||06 July 2022||14:00-15:10||Virtual|
Fees & Bursaries
Our remote CPD courses for teachers are delivered across a series of sessions run at specific times and dates. Information on all course sessions can be found under the description of each course. To complete a course, all sessions are mandatory.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available